Written by Shirly Tan
Singapore has several PR schemes available for those who wish to apply, these include:
- The Global Investor Program (GIP)
- Professional, Technical Personnel and Skilled Workers (PTS) Scheme
- Foreign Artistic Talent Scheme
1) The Global Investor Program (GIP)
The GIP scheme was introduced by the Singapore Economic Development Board (EDB) and the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) Singapore. Foreign individuals who are keen on investing or starting a new business in Singapore may apply for their PR via this route.
GIP Scheme investors have two options to choose from:
- Option A: Invest at least S$2.5 million in a new business entity or expansion of an existing business operation.
- Option B: Invest at least S$2.5 million in a GIP-approved fund that invests in Singapore-based companies.
- Option C: Invest S$2.5 million in a new or existing Singapore-based single family office having Assets-Under-Management (AUM*) of at least S$200 million.
To be eligible for this scheme, you need to fulfil the following criteria:
- A successful entrepreneurial background before applying for your Singapore PR.
- A substantial business track record and provide proof of an investment / business proposal
2) Professional, Technical Personnel and Skilled Workers (PTS) Scheme
Singapore’s PTS scheme is the most common choice among existing EP / EntrePass, S Pass and PEP holders as most applicants gained their PR via this route. To be eligible for this scheme, you need to fulfil the following criteria:
- Be working in Singapore at the time of application
- Ideally you should belong to the relevant industry which requires your skillset.
- Your skillset should complement Singapore’s local work force
- Application should be from reputable institutions.
However, a myriad of factors will be considered for PTS applications. These include contributing factors such as current citizenship, family status, qualification, achievements, social contribution as well as duration of stay. Therefore it is imperative that an individual obtains appropriate advice that is bespoke to their circumstances.
3) Foreign Artistic Talent Scheme
Singapore’s Foreign Artistic Talent Scheme is administered jointly by the National Arts Council (NAC) and Singapore Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA). To be eligible for this scheme, you need to fulfil the following criteria:
- Possess outstanding achievements in field of practice
- A well-recognised artist with preferably international reputation
- Significantly contribute to Singapore’s local arts and culture scene.
- Hold a strong track record of being involved in local engagements on a leadership level.
- Must have concrete plans of becoming involved in Singapore’s local arts and culture industry.
This scheme is only for individuals in Performing Arts, Visual Arts, Literary Arts, Design and/or Media fields. Applicants seeking permanent residency under this particular scheme must have related formal education and training as well as relevant work experience and achievements in order to be considered. They should also have made significant contributions to Singapore’s arts scene and have plans to further develop or advance the arts scene in Singapore.
Male children who are granted PR status under their parents’ sponsorship are liable for national service (NS) with the exception of those who were granted PR under the PTS Scheme or the Investor Scheme.
Summarily, applications for Permanent Residency may seem simple and straightforward. However, each application should be tailored to the particular circumstances of the applicants to emphasize the merits of their application. Generally the application process take within four (4) to six (6) months. It is worth noting that in many instances, the application is delayed or outright rejected due to the application documentation not being in order.
If you require advise or guidance with a PR application or wish to find out more about your options for permanent residency in Singapore, please do not hesitate to contact us.